In 1929 a group of farmers got together and organized the Hampden Oil Co. The first officers were A.E. Berkland, president; E.A. Furbur, vice president; Iver Iverson, secretary and treasurer; Directors Nels Overbo, G.N. Campbell, O.W. Neidlinger, and Frithjof Skaar.
They hired Henry H. Reimer as manager and in June 1929 started business.
In 1930 Henry Reimer had built and operated the first service station in Hampden. Before this there were two street pumps in operation which were discontinued when the service station was in operation.
In 1930 gasoline was purchased for 12 to 14 cents a gallon, and kerosene at 11 cents a gallon. Gasoline could be purchased at the service station pump for 19 cents a gallon.
In 1946 Henry Reimer died, and Ray G. Reimer was hired as manager. After 25 years, he retired from the oil business on January 1, 1972.
The venture of starting the Hampden Oil Co. proved very profitable for shareholders of the company. By 1965 over a quarter million dollars was paid back in dividends to the shareholders.
In 1972 Don Schonauer was hired as manager and served until June 1976. John Hlvorson was then hired.
Some of the board members serving the oil company and length of time were A.E. Berkland (17); E.A. Furbur, Nels Overbo, J.B. McMillin, George Martinson, O.W. Neidlinger, G.N. Campbell, Frithjof Skaar (30), Clifford Thorson (22), Thomas Schonauer (22), Edwin Werner (20), past president Peter Rudser (10), past president Theo. Hoiland (22), past president Obert Skjervheim (11), Arthur Johnson (20), Wm. Woldmoe (10), Howard Skaar (7), Larry Werner (9), Lyle Woldmoe (8), and Wayne Simon (8).