The oldest of the churches is the Zoar Free Lutheran. It was organized in 1902 but even before that time, services were held in various homes. Records show that a Christmas Festival was held in the Carroll Hotel, which included the entire community. A collection was taken amounting to $34 and presented to the serving pastor, J.O. Arvig. This first church was erected on lots now owned by Ron Sager. It was moved closer in when lots were purchased from Joe Schonauer. The house on the lots were moved to the Alfred Olson farm southeast of Hampden.
Pastors serving during the years have been J.O. Arvig, 1902; N. Harveland, 1903; Ludvig Pederson, 1901; G. Nordberg, 1910; L. Laurhammer, 1915; George Larson, 1925; J. Hjelmeland, 1927; Morris Eggen, 1930; Sigurd Berg, 1938; L. Rasmussen, 1944; H. Tollefson, 1950; G. Amundson, 1957; Lay-pastor Quanrud; Roger Strom; Pastor H. Kjos, 1967; Hubert DeBoer, 1973; Ray Larson, (deceased August 1974); Kenneth Heppner, 1974; Wesley Langaas, 1975 to present .
The Presbyterians held services in a hall built by Arthur Elliott. A few terms of school were held in the building, too, with Mary Goldsbury (mother of Tom O’Brien and Eva Johnson). The hall was rebuilt and purchased by the Methodist church which was organized with Rex Nesbet as minister, J.F. Loehre, president; A.C. Davis, secretary. The last remodeling of the church was in 1974, and church conducted for the first time in February.
Pastors serving have been W.E. Dudley; T.S. Brown; A.L. Pardee (Mrs. Pardee passed away while they lived in Hampden), 1914; H.F. Midrif, 1917; Joseph Chester, 1918; G. Bateman, 1919; G.N. Harvey, 1920;C.T. Ensign, 1920; D.M. Lower, 1922; W. Dodge, 1923; A.H. Gamble, 1924; J.R. Wenrich, 1925; Frank Rumor, 1930; F. Forster, 1935; Chas. Kepler, 1935; George Muzzey, 1948; W.E. McCod, 1949; R.E. Ritter, 1950; Virgil Holmes, 1954; W.J. Hutlet, 1962; Donald Goold, 1967; Francis Kinzler, 1974 to present .
The newest of the churches is the Faith Lutheran of the American Lutheran Church. In 1963 a group of people from the Hampden and Alsen community organized an American Lutheran Church. Pastor Ray Klug from Edmore served them and services were held in the American Legion Hall. Faith Church was erected and opened for worship in 1964. Several lay-pastors and interim-pastors assisted with the ministry and are listed as Pastor Osmond, Park River Bible Camp; John Neilson, student; John Baxter, Edmore; John Isum, Nekoma; Re. Winther; M.J. Neilson, Rugby; Omar, residen pastor. Also Dennis Nelson, Obed; Chas. Plaster, resident; Elmer Sundlie; Jack Koch, resident.