Feeds:
Posts
Comments

2002 status: There is no longer a senior citizen club.  There are few members left in Hampden, having either passed away or moved to nursing homes or larger towns.

from Ramsey County History: vol 2, p 599; published 1983
(submitted by Mrs. Herbert Martin, Secretary)

A group of seniors met November 1, 1974, in the Zoar Lutheran Church with Roger Wetzel, Trudy Ertman and Jan Christie to organize a senior club.  Election of officers resulted as follows:  President Pearl Aanstad; vice-president, Henry Timm; secretary, Mrs. Herbert Martin; treasurer, Mrs. Carl Mortenson.  dues decided on were $2.00 per member.  Meetings were held alternately in the three churches; Faith A.L.C., Methodist and Zoar Free Lutheran, twice each month.  The first Friday a business meeting and the third Saturday evening a social meeting.

The first years there was a great deal of business, but it has tapered off.  The social meetings have been varied.  Birthdays and anniversaries are special.  Each person reaching 80 years of age is given special recognition with a decorated cake.  Glora Logie, Trygve Pollestad, Carl Mortenson (deceased), Nellie Wolf, Oscar Borg (deceased) and Emma Dahl have received theirs.

These social meetings have provided much in the way of entertainment.  There have been slides shown by people who have traveled, as Geo. Tokheim, Fritjoph Lunde, Mr. Tonnes Pollestad; talks by visitors, educational programs and much else.

In 1975, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas O’Brien reigned as King and Queen of the Devils Lake Mardi Gras, and a year later Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Hoiland were runner ups.  Also in 1975 the club had a float in the Sons of Norway Parade May 17.  A living room scene was depicted on a flatbed, appropriately decorated.  A grandma and grandpa were in rocking chairs.

Bylaws were adopted and the club became incoporated.  In order to receive any government funds our treasurer was bonded.  The first Board of Directors elected at theis time were: Carl Mortenson, Ted Hoiland and Leon Ohma.

There has been monthly county nurse’s service since February 21, 1975.  Marion Moen was the first, now Mary Lou Kowalski.

Monthly bus service to Devils Lake began in October 1976.  This enabled members to make doctor appointments, shop , etc.  Now Edmore and Hampden will be together and have two trips each month.  Gustina Solberg is our present coordinator.

In 1976 Storlie School No. 4 was moved into Hampden.  It was a gift to the club, and a bill of sale from the school district was signed by Richard Hoiland, clerk, and Ordale Morstad, member of the school board.  The town board and the Senior board agreed to have it placed in the northeast corner of the city park.  Carl Mortneson contacted a house-mover and attended to the cement work.  He, with George Tokheim, built the chimney and Leroy Wolf painted the interior.  The school has several of the original student desks, with the teacher’s des and most of the books, pictures, etc.  A pretty young teacher stands at the front of the room, a mannequin purchased from a Devils Lake store and given by Mrs. Carl Mortenson.

March 4, 1977, the club met for the first time in the Mini Mall, of which it has a large room with a sign in front “Senior Center.”  There has been paneling, carpeting, cupboards, air-conditioner, electric appliances and all such appliances added.  A well was dug at the cost of $3,000.00 which furnishes water for all the business places.

The club has donated to all the county programs as Meals, Bus, Nurse.  We are grateful for all Federal grants, the State Matching fund, Ceta fund and the County Mill Levy.  Our first monies were, however, truly earned.  Supper and lunches were served before the Mall Cafe opened.  A potato dumpling (kuml, klub) was served, amounting to $150.00.  There were rummage sales and raffles.  The first gift was an afghan from Margaret Severeid.  It was won by Ordale Morstad.

Many gifts have been received, including a pool table from Mr. and Mrs. Trygve Pollestad; a combination television-stereo-radio from Mr. Burnell Myhre, a former Hampdenite in memory of his wife, Doris; a piano from the Methodist Church.  A thermometer in the Center designates the monetary gifts received.

We were introduced to the Seniors United by Hazel Skaar, county chairwoman, who explained the benefits, stressing discounts in drugs.  Thomas O’Brien and R.G. Reimer represent our district on the State Board of Directors.

In 1981 Thomas O’Brien was elected to the Silver Haired Legislature with Harry Anderson from Ramsey County.  There were re-elected in 1982.

Hampden Club has had members attend every County Coucil meeting.  Pearl Aanstad has served as secretary, Theodore Hoiland as treasurer and Henry Timm as president and vice-president.

Noon meals are served three days each week, with four to six Meals on Wheels.  The meals are catered; first by Betty Boatman Kummer 1978-1981 and by Mrs. Bob Haprestad, Sr. 1981. 

Many members belong to the RSVP program; to serve the meals, to visit nursing homes, telephone calling etc.

We also have a Green Thumb, Mrs. Henry Timm, from 1980-.

Trees have been planted each and each summer members plant and tend to flowers planted in front of the Mini Mall, purchased by the Mall Association.  This adds to the appearance of the entire street.

from Ramsey County History: vol 2, p 599; published 1983
(submitted by Pearl Aanstad, Secretary)

We regret there are no early records of this worthy organization, an arm of the Zoar Free Lutheran Church.  In writing the history in 1952 the Ackre sisters (Ida and Annie) remember the day the Aid was organized.  Several ladies came to visit their sick mother, Mrs. Elling Ackre, one day in July 1902.  They had come from church services at the Carl Olson Home located across the road from the A.S. Flott Farm.  To us in 1982 known as the Arthur (Bud) Johnson farm.

Those present to organize the “Kvindeforening” were Mrs. Soren Iverson, Sr., Mrs. Hans Thompson, Mrs. Martin Mortenson; Mrs. Iver Iverson, Sr and Mrs. Carl Olson.  Mrs. Iver Iverson was elected President.  They felt she know something about the work because she had spent some time in the Arvig parsonage in Adrian, Minnesota.  Mrs. Iverson was an efficient worker and a very hospitable person.

In 1909, Mrs. Hans Boe supervised a supper.  The proceeds were used to purchase lamps for the church.  All members worked hard and took their turns in serving.  We note by old pictures that at times the entire family met.

Many and varied projects have been the aims of the Aid.  They have contributed to the quotas of the Church Schools, Missions and local church work.  Almost every church project received assistance from the Aid.

In 1940 the Church was moved from the north west part of town to the present location one block south of main street.  At that time Pews were purchased.  Aid money has purchased paneling, carpeting and much remodeling.  Though these material things are very necessary, the spiritual aspects surpass all.  They give above the required quota for the National headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota; Foreign and Home Missions; the Theological Seminary; Bible School and Women’s Missionary Federation.

The Ladies Aid has met regularly the first Wednesday of each month, with few exceptions, for at least 60 years.

(The work has not always been easy but there has been a spirit of harmony and good will.)

Almost all of the women of the congregation have taken their turn in serving in one office or another.

Two schools were organized in the early 1900′s – one to the south of Hampden on land now owned by Richard Anderson and one to the east on the homestead of Mrs. Annie Lee.These schools continued until the district was consolidated and the school was built at its present location in the year 1907.

The school opened in 1908 as a grade school and although the town of Hampden was organized in 1903, the school district was called Northfield until 1958 when the name was changed to the Hampden Public School District #34.

The first school board members (in 1901) were J.W. Stoneman, Walter Sedlemyer, Andrew Haugen, A.C. Davis and Ole Iverson.  It was not until the year of the 1912 that two years of high school were added and in 1922, all 12 grades were taught.

There have been 365 graduates of Hampden High School since the first class in 1924 through the senior class of 1979.  The largest graduating class had 19 members.  It was the class of 1933.

The first Parent Teacher Organization was organized in 1939.  there were 45 members.  The first officers were Fritz Skaar, president; Carl Mortenson, vice presiden; Peter Woken, secretary; and Mrs. Torgerson, treasurer.

The petition to organize the first school in the township (158-62) was granted January 9, 1901 and was given the number District #34.  In a letter written January 2, 1900 and signed by L.B. Fancher, County Superintendent of Schools, he urged that such a a district be organized according to the petition he had received since there were more than ten children of schol age resideing in the township.  Those signing the petition to organize were:  Wm. Goldsbury, W.M. Pitt, Pearl Vanderhoef, H.F. Shipley, Geo. H. Clace, Orrin Atkinson, O.O. Knudson, B. Klesclan, G.F. Hawthorne, W. Sadlemeyer, J.W. Stoneman, Ole Iverson and A.C. Davis.  The first school was located in Northwest Quarter Section 21.  Later a second school was built to the east on the homestead of Mrs. Annie Lee. 

The first school board members in 1901 were J.W. Stoneman, Walter Sadlemeyer and Andrew Haugen.  A.C. Davis was clerk and Ole Iverson was treasurer.  Mrs. A.C. Davis was the first teacher.  The next year Mary A. Goldsbury joined her.

These schools continued until the district was consolidated and the school was built at its present location in the year 1907.

The school opened in 1908 as a grade school and although the town of Hampden was organized in 1903, the school district was called Northfield until 1908 when the name was changed to the Hampden Public School District #34.  It was not until that year or 1912 that two years of high school were added and in 1922 all 12 grades were taught.

There have been 369 graduates of Hampden High School since the first class in 1924 through 1980 when Hampden closed its doors for the last time.  The largest graduating class had 19 members.  It was the class of 1933.

The first Parent Teacher Organization was organzied in 1939.  There were 45 members.  The first officers were Fritz Skaar, President; Carl Mortenson, Vice-president; Peter Woken , Secretary; and Mrs. Torgerson, Treasurer.

The first annual “The Hampden Highlite” was also published in 1942.  At this time there were 45 students in grades 1-8, and 38 students in grades 9-12.

The first graduates from Hampden were Edna Rudser, Now Mrs. Arthur Myhre of Munich, and her brother, Peter Rudser, in 1924.

We have one family with three generations of graduates.  They are Earl and Nora Anderson, their son, Richard, and his children.  All live in the Hampden community at this time.

Two additions have been added to the original building over the years.  The gymnasium was built in 1952 and four new high school rooms were added in 1960.

The first hot lunch program was started in 1942 for the country children.  Inez Lommen was in charge of this and soup was the menu.

The present hot lunch room was officially opened in the fall of 1953.  An open house was held October 11, 1953.  Mrs. Henry (Verna) Peters and Mrs. Alber (Roberta) Werner were the first cooks.

1950-1951 was the first year Hampden had a band.  The band was organized and directed by Melvin Anda.  A Band Mothers Organization was also started at this time.  Their purpose was to raise money to help support the band with its needs in music instruments, etc.

Storlie school No. 1 was built in the southeast corner of the northeast corner of the northeast quarter of Section 11.  Later it was moved a mile further north.  This school operated until 1922 when it was closed and taken into the Loma School District.  It was later sold to Rev. Unseth which is the farmstead where Julius Skjerva resides.

The last teacher who taught there was Miss Esther Bartel of Alsen.  Some of the well known teachers who taught in this school were Emma Smith of Loma, Mabel Heimbecker of Gordon Township, Nellie Sunderland of Fairdale, and Ester Gunderson of Northwood, who became Mrs. Thorval Iverson.

Storlie School No. 2 was started in the fall of 1908 and located along the northwest quarter Section 8.  Later it was moved to the NE corner of the NE 1/4 Section 15.  From there it was moved to the NW corner of the SW 1/4 Section 28.  It was discontinued when Hampden School District was reorganized and moved in to be used as a bus barn.

Pupils who attended this school included Frances Clock, Evans Flott, Clinton Howes, Floyd Howes, Anna Harveland, John Harveland, Martha Harveland, Harland Meling, Agnes Peterson, Edna Peterson, Hazel Chambers, Grace Severson, Ella Kvall, Alida Harveland, Lloyd Clock, Myrtle Flott, Lois Howes, Hazel Howes, Iver Harveland, Ruth Harveland, Ruby Olson, Thressa Peterson, John Peterson, Myrtle Peterson, Alice Severson, Jordis Kvaal, Petrolf Kvall.  The Peterson family were know as Bjorland in later years.

Storlie No. 3 was located on the NW corner of Section 29, or about 3 1/2 miles northwest of Hampden, believed to have been built in 1903.  The first teacher was John Egge.  This school was discontinued in the early teens, and sold to L.O. Flott and made into a granary.  It is still in use on the Flott farm.

Storlie No. 4 had its beginning about 1902 in a small unfinished building with Emily Ackre as its first teacher.  Jon M. Egge the next.  It was located on a big hill about one half mile north of the Elias Hasby farm and on the land belonging to Nels Pearson, now owned by Frank Damschen.  School was held for just a few months in the summer.

In 1904 it was decided to build a regular school building and to place it in a more central location.  Land was donated by Martin Mortenson, which is now known as the Elling Digerness farm, located two miles north and 1 1/2 miles east of Hampden.

School officially opened in April 1905.  (The first records found in the Cavalier County Superintendent’s Office.)  As many as 33 pupils attended this school with a teacher having all eight grades in one term.  Double seats were the thing in the early years, which contributed to a great deal of whispering.

School was held continuously throughout the years with eight month terms until 1950 when that portion of Storlie Township was annexed into the Hampden School District #34.  It was used for a Township Hall for several years and finally in 1976, it was moved to the city park of Hampden to be restored as a part of our early heritage.

The teachers from 1905 to 1950 were John I. Egge, Oscar Olson, Annie Mikkleson, Emma Wendt, Flora Walsh, Mae Gerke, Charles Gunderson, Ida L. Haibeck, Bertha Freeman, Johanna Overby, Hilda Norum, Emma Smith, Minnie Smith, Ella M. Campbell, Lydia Crockett, Laura Lund, Aileen More, Faye Bently, Ruby Walden, Carl Skjerva, Marie Amoth, Ingred Midtmoen, Roger Furbur, Meta Bruers, Mildred Storlie, and Meta Bruers Hasby, the last teacher.

A number of people who at one time attended Storlie No. 4 still reside in the Hampden area:  Carl and Mildred (Dahl) Mortenson, Nora (Miller) Anderson, Glora (Thorson) Logie, Mildred (Storlie) Flott, Arthur Thorson, Carrie (Larson) Pederson, Myrtle (Larson) Evans, Emma (Hasby) Dahl, Halvor Hasby, Duane Dahl, Clarence Hermanson, Olga (Christianson) Clock, Inez (Elftman) Wolf, Odin Christianson, and Melvin Larson.

Hampden History: Schools

There were several country schools as the people realized that an education was necessary.  One was located east of town very near Mr. Anna Lee’s homestead.  Mrs. Arthur Myhre (Edna Rudser) tells of the children walking past their farm (one mile east of town) and they would stop to see the baby (herself).  No doubt Mrs. Rudser could have told many incidents from those times.  Mrs. Rudser was the daughter of Mrs. Lee.  Incidentally, the barn on the Rudser farm was the latest in the Shevlin Gothic construction and people came from miles around to see it.

Now going back to information about schools.  One was built to the south on land pioneered by the Lengeby family, now owned by Richard Anderson.  This school was later moved to a Mackey quarter.  After it closed it was moved again and can be seen today at the Mrs. Raymond Mackey farm.  The Hampden School was built in 1908.  The first principal in this modern school system was Kimball Keeping.  He was killed in action during World War I.


Hampden Oil Company today 

In 1929 a group of farmers got together and organized the Hampden Oil Co.  The first officers were A.E. Berkland, president; E.A. Furbur, vice president; Iver Iverson, secretary and treasurer; Directors Nels Overbo, G.N. Campbell, O.W. Neidlinger, and Frithjof Skaar.

They hired Henry H. Reimer as manager and in June 1929 started business.

In 1930 Henry Reimer had built and operated the first service station in Hampden.  Before this there were two street pumps in operation which were discontinued when the service station was in operation.

In 1930 gasoline was purchased for 12 to 14 cents a gallon, and kerosene at 11 cents a gallon.  Gasoline could be purchased at the service station pump for 19 cents a gallon.

In 1946 Henry Reimer died, and Ray G. Reimer was hired as manager.  After 25 years, he retired from the oil business on January 1, 1972.

The venture of starting the Hampden Oil Co. proved very profitable for shareholders of the company.  By 1965 over a quarter million dollars was paid back in dividends to the shareholders.

In 1972 Don Schonauer was hired as manager and served until June 1976.  John Hlvorson was then hired.

Some of the board members serving the oil company and length of time were A.E. Berkland (17); E.A. Furbur, Nels Overbo, J.B. McMillin, George Martinson, O.W. Neidlinger, G.N. Campbell, Frithjof Skaar (30), Clifford Thorson (22), Thomas Schonauer (22), Edwin Werner (20), past president Peter Rudser (10), past president Theo. Hoiland (22), past president Obert Skjervheim (11), Arthur Johnson (20), Wm. Woldmoe (10), Howard Skaar (7), Larry Werner (9), Lyle Woldmoe (8), and Wayne Simon (8).

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.