Storlie school No. 1 was built in the southeast corner of the northeast corner of the northeast quarter of Section 11. Later it was moved a mile further north. This school operated until 1922 when it was closed and taken into the Loma School District. It was later sold to Rev. Unseth which is the farmstead where Julius Skjerva resides.
The last teacher who taught there was Miss Esther Bartel of Alsen. Some of the well known teachers who taught in this school were Emma Smith of Loma, Mabel Heimbecker of Gordon Township, Nellie Sunderland of Fairdale, and Ester Gunderson of Northwood, who became Mrs. Thorval Iverson.
Storlie School No. 2 was started in the fall of 1908 and located along the northwest quarter Section 8. Later it was moved to the NE corner of the NE 1/4 Section 15. From there it was moved to the NW corner of the SW 1/4 Section 28. It was discontinued when Hampden School District was reorganized and moved in to be used as a bus barn.
Pupils who attended this school included Frances Clock, Evans Flott, Clinton Howes, Floyd Howes, Anna Harveland, John Harveland, Martha Harveland, Harland Meling, Agnes Peterson, Edna Peterson, Hazel Chambers, Grace Severson, Ella Kvall, Alida Harveland, Lloyd Clock, Myrtle Flott, Lois Howes, Hazel Howes, Iver Harveland, Ruth Harveland, Ruby Olson, Thressa Peterson, John Peterson, Myrtle Peterson, Alice Severson, Jordis Kvaal, Petrolf Kvall. The Peterson family were know as Bjorland in later years.
Storlie No. 3 was located on the NW corner of Section 29, or about 3 1/2 miles northwest of Hampden, believed to have been built in 1903. The first teacher was John Egge. This school was discontinued in the early teens, and sold to L.O. Flott and made into a granary. It is still in use on the Flott farm.
Storlie No. 4 had its beginning about 1902 in a small unfinished building with Emily Ackre as its first teacher. Jon M. Egge the next. It was located on a big hill about one half mile north of the Elias Hasby farm and on the land belonging to Nels Pearson, now owned by Frank Damschen. School was held for just a few months in the summer.
In 1904 it was decided to build a regular school building and to place it in a more central location. Land was donated by Martin Mortenson, which is now known as the Elling Digerness farm, located two miles north and 1 1/2 miles east of Hampden.
School officially opened in April 1905. (The first records found in the Cavalier County Superintendent’s Office.) As many as 33 pupils attended this school with a teacher having all eight grades in one term. Double seats were the thing in the early years, which contributed to a great deal of whispering.
School was held continuously throughout the years with eight month terms until 1950 when that portion of Storlie Township was annexed into the Hampden School District #34. It was used for a Township Hall for several years and finally in 1976, it was moved to the city park of Hampden to be restored as a part of our early heritage.
The teachers from 1905 to 1950 were John I. Egge, Oscar Olson, Annie Mikkleson, Emma Wendt, Flora Walsh, Mae Gerke, Charles Gunderson, Ida L. Haibeck, Bertha Freeman, Johanna Overby, Hilda Norum, Emma Smith, Minnie Smith, Ella M. Campbell, Lydia Crockett, Laura Lund, Aileen More, Faye Bently, Ruby Walden, Carl Skjerva, Marie Amoth, Ingred Midtmoen, Roger Furbur, Meta Bruers, Mildred Storlie, and Meta Bruers Hasby, the last teacher.
A number of people who at one time attended Storlie No. 4 still reside in the Hampden area: Carl and Mildred (Dahl) Mortenson, Nora (Miller) Anderson, Glora (Thorson) Logie, Mildred (Storlie) Flott, Arthur Thorson, Carrie (Larson) Pederson, Myrtle (Larson) Evans, Emma (Hasby) Dahl, Halvor Hasby, Duane Dahl, Clarence Hermanson, Olga (Christianson) Clock, Inez (Elftman) Wolf, Odin Christianson, and Melvin Larson.
Read Full Post »